Dispensing Witan Wisdom Since The Days of King Eggbound The Unready...

Not to mention "Left-Wing Pish"

Sunday 17 January 2016

Epiblog for the Feast of St Anthony The Abbot



It has been a busy week in the Holme Valley. Winter has begun to bite with a vengeance, culminating in last night’s snowfall.  Actually, Debbie (and Misty) went to the snow, before the snow came to us, because it had already snowed up on top of West Nab when they were up there on Friday (in fact, it was still snowing when they were up there, but more of that later).

As you might expect, with the coming of the colder days, the birds and squirrels have been even more frantically helping themselves to the bird seed from the dishes out on the decking. When I have difficulty swinging my legs out from underneath the warm duvet on the mornings when Debbie sets off for her 12-hour teaching days, before dawn, I have to think of them waiting to be fed and use that thought to bolster my feeble willpower. I truly hate this cold, dark, miserable time of the year, and I wish I could hibernate.

At least the squirrels and birds have been able to do their loading up with life-saving food unmolested by Matilda, who has spent most of the week curled up with her nose in her tail on the settee in the conservatory, or alternatively watching their comings and goings from the warm side of the windowsill, on the inside. She may be old and slow, but she’s not dumb. There was one particularly frosty morning in the last couple of days when she went to the door to be let out and I obliged. She stopped in her tracks half way across the decking when she realised she had made a massive tactical error and was now experiencing a temperature similar to that of a walk in freezer, turned tail and came straight back.

Misty doesn’t mind the snow at all – Border Collies are amongst the hardiest of breeds in that respect, but she did almost come a cropper, as did Debbie, on Friday. As I said, they went up West Nab, which is normally a straight up, straight down sort of a ramble, but they had reckoned without the whiteout at the top. A combination of snow and fog saw them temporarily lose their way, and they ended up doing a partially-unintentional three-mile detour to get back to the road, which included having to scale a dry-stone wall with a snow-filled ditch on the other side. They were over an hour late getting home, and I gather that it was very character-building, and now both their characters are fully-built.

As for me, I have been desperately trying to keep warm – the Maisie-knitted leg warmers and the Polartec fleece hat have re-appeared, plus a second hot water bottle behind me in the wheelchair, and the Whitby Hand-Warmer. I am afraid if it is a choice between being the epitome of sartorial elegance or stopping my nadgers freezing off, I choose the latter.

Inevitably, I suppose, at this time of year, thoughts tend to turn to happier, warmer times, or at least mine do. Particularly, actually, in my case when I heard of the death of David Bowie. I was almost immediately transported back to “The Jivery” at College, our own feeble attempt at a disco, where I bopped, along with my girlfriend du jour, to “Jean Jeanie”. (Or Jean Genet, as the French students called it.) Yes, dear reader, the shameful truth must emerge. I did, bop. And I was probably wearing a cheesecloth shirt and orange cotton loon pants as well. I’m not proud of what I did. And maybe it is time at last to confront these crimes against fashion and taste, but I did once bop to Bowie, and I found myself this week in a strange elegiac, almost confessional mood.  I was never a particular fan, even though most of his backing band came from my home town of Hull. (In fact, there was a skit going round on Facebook this week to the effect that the Hull Daily Mail’s headline on Bowie’s death would be ‘Singer with Hull Band Dies’, along the lines of the Aberdeen Daily Press’s apocryphal ‘Titanic Sinks, Aberdeen Man Saved’ – but sadly, it was not to be.)

My own proclivities, even at that early age, were tending towards folk music, having already been (as I saw it) an intellectually superior being for liking “Progressive” rock in the 6th form. Fairport, Trees, The Incredible String Band, that sort of thing. Jethro Tull were suspiciously electric, though. In an act of pure musical snobbery, I disowned Marc Bolan when Tyrannosaurus Rex changed to T. Rex, stopped singing “Salamader Palaganda” and switched to “Hot Love”. But nevertheless, Bowie was one of those icons, along with people such as Joni Mitchell and Dylan, whose music provided the soundtrack to my life, and so I mourned his demise in a sort of passive way, regretting that another of my touchstones had gone.

Music has been on my mind in several forms this week. There was, of course, the debate in parliament about whether England should have its own national anthem. Blake’s Jerusalem,  which is always trotted out at the first sign of this discussion surfacing is, in fact, a closely-argued plea for free love, which you might expect from someone who made a habit of sitting in the garden in the nip, along with his wife, reading bits of Paradise Lost to her. I often wonder if all those worthy WI  ladies in floral hats realise what they are singing about in those lines wishing for arrows of desire. Maybe they should take a sneaky peek at that statue of St Teresa of Avila!

Billy Connolly always favoured Barwick Green, the theme tune to The Archers, which – being an instrumental – would at least save footballers the embarrassment of pretending to mumble the words to God Save The Queen. If you asked me seriously, I suppose something like I Vow To Thee My Country might do, especially as its words actually remind whoever sings it that there are greater things than misplaced patriotism and nationalism. My overwhelming feeling on the subject, however, was that MPs ought to be doing something better with their valuable time. We’re embroiled in an expensive war, half the country is underwater, China’s economy is tanking and likely to drag us all down with it, kids are going to bed hungry, homeless people are dying in the streets, and MPs are debating… the national bloody anthem?

Mind you, what else would you expect from this crowd of deadbeats, misfits and boobies? It also emerged this week that all the records of MPs’ expenses prior to 2010 have apparently been shredded. On whose authority is not clear to me, but I bet whoever did it claimed for the shredders on expenses. There are those who say I don’t have a good word for MPs. This is not true. I have a very good word for them, it’s just not a word you would normally use on the Sabbath. They really just don’t get it, do they? Maybe they will when they are finally swinging from a Westminster lamp post, but even then, I have my doubts. Mr Cameron, in his role as apparently our chief elder and better, has been dishing out advice on parenting to all and sundry, including, presumably, how to avoid forgetting your daughter and leaving her in the pub by mistake. He’s also been forced to admit that there are not as many friendly fighters in Syria as he first thought. This is something which many people said at the time, of course, but there is apparently no system in place to haul someone back to the House of Commons who has obviously lied in a debate for their own ends and give them a public roasting. The best we can hope for is a Chilcot-style enquiry in a decade or so, to get to the bottom of the biggest foreign policy debacle of the 21st century.  Meanwhile, the bombing continues, the refugees are still fleeing, drowning, and freezing to death in the camps. That is if they have managed to escape from places such as Madaya in the first place.

The freezing weather hasn’t really been helping much at home, either. The long, dismal clean-up after the Calder Valley floods has been continuing, and now, people who have damp, empty houses are having to cope with the addition of sub-zero temperatures.  There are also signs that the camaraderie and co-operation which marked the early days of the fight back against Mother Nature’s excesses are starting to wear a bit thin. Concerns have been voiced about the slow administration of the relief grants, and that some people are still unaware of what financial help they can obtain. There are now two different funds, one of which is specifically aimed at getting businesses back up and running, but even so, of the 1200 businesses in the Calder Valley expected to have been affected, only 74 have actually received help to date, for a variety of reasons. It is perhaps worth reflecting at this point that the catering in the House of Commons has spent £275,221 on champagne since 2010.

The Calderdale Rising fund has benefited by a single donation of £100,000 from the Daily Mail, of all people. As one wag on Facebook observed, “maybe they thought that we were being flooded by immigrants.” It turns out, though, that it is the readers of the Daily Mail who have contributed. In bits and bats and widows mites, rather than the Harmsworths and Rothermeres unbracing their wallets and letting the moths see some daylight. It is inevitable, I suppose, that there will be a certain amount of bitterness and acrimony, and some of it with good cause, but I suppose the ideal would be to focus it on those who really deserve it – the insurance companies being slow to send in loss adjusters, the people insisting on surveys costing £500 before the applications for future flood mitigation will be considered, the spivs and chancers going door to door trying to obtain money from people for work and services they don’t want, the utilities and phone companies continuing to charge for non-existent services, and the would-be looters.

Either way, it would be a shame if that initial idealism and real “all in it together” attitude were to be lost, as it really did seem to be something special at the time. There is no doubt, either, that the recovery phase will be a long-haul process, lasting months, if not years. In the outcome, there will be losers as well as winners. There is also the issue of the initial adrenaline rush having worn off. It’s a bit like when you fall over and crock yourself. For a while, the shock numbs the pain, it’s only the next day when you see the bruise and feel it aching.  That’s what I think is happening now with the Calder Valley. Plus, of course, there is a lot of winter, and a lot of rain, still to come. As one Hebden Bridge blogger mordantly observed, “The first time it happened, we got Prince Charles, this time it was Prince Andrew. Next time, they’ll probably just send seven dwarfs and a Nolan sister.” Hebden Bridge is, famously, the most Lesbian town in England, and had UKIP not been so busy of late attempting to “assassinate”  Nigel Farage – at last, a UKIP policy we can all get behind – I would have expected them to have made much of the connection between gayness and localised flooding. As it is, it has been left to those with a puerile sense of humour, such as yours truly, to make the jokes about “protective dykes”.

One area where dykes, protective or otherwise, will be less welcome from this week is now the Church of England. I much preferred the Church of England when it was more like a hobby than a religion, a bit like Midsomer Murders, but without the violence, as a friend of mine described it. It’s very disturbing when it suddenly goes all medieval and starts excommunicating large parts of itself, in an attempt to avoid a schism by creating another schism. I really thought this thing about gay Christians had been put to bed a long while ago (no pun intended) but now, once again, people are cherry picking which bits of Leviticus they want to apply in an attempt to dictate what other people do in the bedroom.  At least the ferrets will be safe, I suppose, but it really is very depressing.

This is what happens when you try and use the Old Testament as a moral handbook on how to live your life. Perhaps it’s worth just thinking about the provenance of the Old Testament – bits of it began life as a desert survival manual for the Children of Israel, and other bits of it were excluded altogether at the Council of Nicea. Then there is the issue of translation. Unless you are fluent in Aramaic, and can tease out the provenance of, and meanings inherent in, the original text, it is probably a bit futile claiming things are an “abomination” without knowing the original word which was thus translated.

But there is a wider issue. God is love, we are told, Jesus told his disciples that he was giving them a new commandment, love one another. Love thy neighbour as thyself. I am no theologian, but I am guessing that Big G, with everything else on his plate right now, and everything that ever was and shall be, world without end, amen, probably takes a fairly top level, hands-off approach on love, and doesn’t want to get too involved in the specifics of who does what to whom. Obviously the innocence of children needs to be protected, but apart from that, surely what counts is that we create more love in this world, before we finally leave it, than that with which we entered.

I said something like this the last time the issue came up and I will probably say it again (and again, and again). Dear Church of England, in much the same way that MPs surely have something more urgent to debate than the national bloody anthem, why don’t you put aside the issue of gay clergy and concentrate your still-formidable resources instead of solving the fact that people see religion as irrelevant, that materialism means more than spirituality, that there is poverty, hunger, starvation and war abroad and at home, and then, when you have sorted all that lot out, then you can have a nice conference somewhere warm and sunny where you can all debate the relevance of gay ferrets and shellfish in Leviticus until you turn blue in the face, foam at the mouth and fall over backwards. Send me a postcard. But don’t expect to see me at Evensong until you stop being such a set of bedknobs and broomsticks.

Mention of God and such topics brings me to the fact that somehow we have made it through to another Sunday, and the Feast of St Anthony the Abbot, no less. St Anthony the Abbot lived in the desert, wore goat skins, ate only bread and drank only water, and spent his life in contemplation as a hermit, living to the age of 105.

One day, at the age of 18,  in church, he listened to a reading of Matthew 19:21:

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.”

Apparently, on hearing those words, he walked out the door of the church there and then, and gave away all his property except what he and his sister needed to live on.  That was not the end of it, though. On hearing Matthew 6:34,

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”

he gave away his remaining possessions, put his sister in a convent (with or without her consent is unclear) and went to live a life of praying, fasting, and manual labour!

So, what am I to make of the life of Anthony the Abbot, apart from possibly a hat, or a brooch (keep those Airplane references coming!) My first reaction is that I wish I had the guts to do likewise. Life these days is a lot more complicated, though.  Someone was talking about this recently, online, in the context of writing a novel. It’s so much more difficult these days, what with all the distractions. All Dickens had to do was to eat grilled mutton chops and go to public executions, whereas these days we have 24/7 media and a million other distractions. Substitute “living the life of a hermit” for “writing a novel”, and you have my dilemma. All St Anthony the Abbot had to do was pack up his sister in a large box and courier her to the nearest convent, then he was free to wander about in the desert wearing goatskin underpants (hairy side out – it gets warm in the Middle East) and give up washing and shaving. If I did it today, social services would start taking an interest.

Still, it would be good, like Thoreau, to go and live in the woods, and suck the marrow out of the bones of life while I still can. On the other hand, though, I think it’s something more fundamental that prevents me. I’m scared. I don’t mind admitting it. I’m scared, specifically, that if I were to take that leap of faith, there would be no-one there to catch me, and until I have worked on my faith and repaired it, I guess I will just have to keep on keeping on in the furrow I am ploughing, or the rut, if you want to be unkind. I console myself that “they also serve who only stand and wait” but it’s not much consolation really, when you think that the sands of time are slipping away and I may not have that much time to achieve my dreams, whenever I have decided what they are, always assuming I can even do that. A land of milk and honey, and being fed by locusts or something. Even a dog that brought bread rolls, like the one St Roche had, would do, at a pinch. I could be a hermit, all other things being equal. I already have the beard.

One of my friends once said a very significant thing to me, though. It was “never underestimate the power of gradual change” – change doesn’t have to be bish bash bosh, yesterday we did that, today we do this… it’s the commitment to change that matters – once you have decided on that, then you can put the new you, the new regime, even the New Jerusalem, maybe, into place gradually, brick by brick. The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, and all that. So, from tomorrow, I shall be wearing goatskin underpants, assuming I can catch a goat. But right now, I have had a mobile phone call from Granny, who is heading back in the camper van from Wessenden, in the company of Debbie and three frozen dogs that will need thawing out, telling me to put the kettle on, so that is what I am going to go.  And as for next week, sufficient is the evil thereof. Or something.






No comments:

Post a Comment