Dispensing Witan Wisdom Since The Days of King Eggbound The Unready...

Not to mention "Left-Wing Pish"

Sunday 6 April 2014

Epiblog for the Fifth Sunday of Lent



It has been a busy week in the Holme Valley.  I am beginning to think that maybe we are through winter after all. Certainly the coming of the lighter nights makes a big difference, at least to me it does, although I haven’t quite come to terms with it yet – I tend to be working away, thinking it’s about 4.30pm, and then I look at my watch and find it’s almost time for The Archers!

Misty and Matilda are now becoming more used to the conservatory door being open and thus allowing them to wander back and forth at will. Matilda has also taken to using her cat flap again, a fact which I discovered when I went through to my downstairs bedroom and heard her mewling behind the lobby door to come in. She must’ve gone out of the conservatory, round the side of the house, and in through the cat flap, only to find the inner door shut. God alone knows how long she’d been sitting there, but the idea of going back out of the cat flap, retracing her pawsteps, and coming back in through the conservatory had obviously never occurred to her.

Misty has been in the doghouse once or twice, notably on Monday. I was talking to Granny and Grandad, who had brought her back from her walkies, and during the course of the conversation I noticed that Misty was pushing something round the kitchen tiles with her head, pausing only to stand on it while she licked it furiously. What the hell was it? Closer inspection revealed that she had helped herself to the remaining butter, still in its paper, which had been in the butterdish on the front of the cooker.  It was my fault, I suppose, in that I had left it within reach of the dog, but I had no idea she’d nick it.  By the time we’d noticed what she was doing, most of the butter had gone and what remained was largely smeared across her snout. She retreated behind the settee to wash herself until not a speck of it remained.

Other than that little gem, Monday was a thankless day. Misty was about the only person who was happy with my efforts that day, and even then it was only because of an oversight on my part rather than anything consciously attempted. As I recall saying at the time, it was the sort of day when you could crap out a golden egg and someone would complain it wasn’t silver. If the highlight of the day was the dog stealing the contents of the butterdish, you can pretty much guess what the rest of it must have been like.

Then the weather decided to turn weird on us, and we descended into a sort of semi-permanent “foggy day in Olde London Town, gor blimey guv’nor it’s a pea-souper and no mistake”. This got the TV weathermen very excited, because apparently it was all to do with dust being blown up from the Sahara. So much so that, whichever side you watched, they were there, wittering on about the Sirocco and unusual atmospheric conditions when all you wanted to know was “will it rain?” In the midst of all this autumnal gloom, the printer cartridge died unexpectedly, so Debbie had to leave for Dewsbury stupendously early, not just because of the fog, but also to allow time for her to print out the stuff for her class at college beforehand.

It had been quite promising up to the point where someone turned the sun off. The air felt warm around me as I went down my ramp, though it had been windy enough to knock a scatter of catkins off the trees outside, and strew the decking with them.  Thursday also dawned grim, grey and grotty, but at least Thursday morning brought a courier with a jiffy bag of ink jet cartridges, so we were back in business again. The fog was not only depressing, but cold and clammy, though.  I frowsted by the fire with the animals, awaiting Deb’s return. Freddie was visiting, and I could see Matilda coveting his warm, soft, fluffy, comfy bed on the carpet in front of the stove, and it was obvious there was a massive internal debate going on in her crinkly little walnut of a brain about whether or not to invade it and settle down next to him.

Brenda (or whoever it is that comes n the middle of the night and eats the food I put out) continues to grace us with her presence. I have taken to scouring the house now each evening, in search of potential badger food, and I was trundling through the kitchen with two fairly manky bananas on my wheelchair tray, when Debbie accosted me and said “I’m not eating those!” to which I replied that this was correct, she was not eating those, unless she had a stripey head, powerful claws, and spent long periods underground.  

We did, however, find one thing that the badger refused to eat – Lloyd Grossman Balti Sauce. This is not surprising, because it is truly foul.  Generally speaking I prefer to build curries from scratch,  but because I was pushed for time on Wednesday I made use of a jar of this stuff, which we had somehow misappropriated from somewhere. After a few tentative mouthfuls I found myself saying, in my best Lloyd Grossman voice “what sort of person, would make a sauce like this…” The substantial leftovers went in Brenda’s dish, and were all still there untouched, the next morning, so eventually, I spread them on the garden, saying to myself, in true hippy mantra fashion “we give this food back with thanks to the earth which bore it” and vowing never to touch the stuff again.  Sorry, Lloyd.  I don’t know what it is with these “celebrities” and sauces and dressings. Paul Newman thinks he can do salad cream as well.

By Thursday, the printer was working again, as I said, and Debbie was up and about betimes, churning out stacks of handouts before setting off for Dewsbury. She left the house in her customary “Tasmanian Devil” whirlwind of activity, balancing rucksacks, carrier bags, lanyard and badge, mobile phone, and packet of sandwiches made by yours truly the night before. I heard the accelerating roar of the camper engine grow fainter as she disappeared down the road towards Lockwood, and eventually silence reigned. Ten minutes later she was back, blustering in, flinging the door back on its hinges, and cursing the garage in a spectacular and inventive way that made me want to cover Misty’s ears.  Matilda hid under the table as Debbie rampaged about, looking for the multi-tool. She’d tried to wind the window down, briefly, while driving along, and the winder had come off in her hand, leaving the window half-way.  Not only was it unpleasant driving along in the cold smoggy fog with your window open, but there was also the larger problem of security parking at the other end.  So she had no option but to turn round and come back for the wherewithal to fix it. Fifteen minutes of cursing and swearing, f-ing and blinding at the garage later, and she was on her way again. How long the temporary repair will hold is anyone’s guess, so that’s another job for my list next week, to get the garage to look at it properly.  I had, meanwhile phoned the college to say she’d be late, and the ABE department was on voicemail. I waited until just after nine and phoned them back. A person answered this time, and I passed on the message, adding that this was probably already in hand, as I had left a voicemail message earlier. “Oh, we never play them back”. Right. Fine. Good. So that was a complete waste of dog-farts, then.

As indeed is much of my dealings with the college these days, who still owe Debbie some back pay, going back to September 2013 in some cases.  Fine, no problem, we’ll just fund Kirklees College for nine months to the tune of several hundred pounds. Apparently “it is not the business of the payroll department to chase up missing or delayed pay claims forms” or so I have been told, in no uncertain terms. So, that’s all clear then.  And here was me thinking that the word “payroll” was significant.  I heard this week that Michael Schumacher had been showing occasional flashes of consciousness and rousing himself briefly from his comatose, vegetative state. Whatever they are giving him for it, they need to administer some to the payroll department of Kirklees College while they are at it.

Talking of Mr Schumacher veering off piste and ending up in the doo doos, George Osborne, who has done more or less the same thing with the economy, announced a goal of “full employment”, this week. I am not sure if it was actually announced on April 1st, but it might as well have been, in a week which saw the announcement of the closure of the remaining deep coal pits in Yorkshire.  As I said last week, Thatcher is dead, but Thatcher-ism, sadly, lives on. Cameron promised to look at the situation, but also cautioned against using “taxpayers’ money” as if the miners who will be thrown on the dole are not themselves also taxpayers, who will then be forced to claim JSA, which is also “taxpayers’ money”.

Taxpayers’ money is actually a curiously elastic concept, the morality of which changes depending who it is who’s spending it and what they are spending it on. If you are Maria Miller, the Culture Secretary, it’s fine to fill your boots with taxpayers’ money to the tune of £45k or so, while claiming for a second home that actually isn’t actually er a second home, and when you are found out, you can employ every bullying, delaying tactic to obfuscate the enquiry, and then you can repay just £4800, make a 30-second apology to Parliament, and that’s alright then, everything’s ticketty-boo.  If you are Robert Barlow, of Merseyside, who died last November aged 47 while suffering from a heart defect and brain tumour, clearly you are  welfare scrounger, leeching on the taxpayer.  After all, that can surely be the only explanation why he was deemed fit to work by benefits assessors Atos, despite doctors at the time urging him to have a heart transplant.  Either that, or Atos are a bunch of incompetent uncaring compassionless swine, I suppose. That might also explain it.

Talking of incompetent, uncaring, compassionless swine, except that I quite like pigs, actually, DEFRA announced this week that the badger cull would not be extended, owing to the dismal failure of the pilots.  It has also been claimed, though I have been unable to verify this independently, that none of the 2000 or so badgers killed in the culls last year actually had the m.bovis virus.  Just when it seemed at last that an outbreak of common sense was taking place, however, up popped Princess Anne to suggest that badgers should be gassed, because it’s a “nicer” death than being shot. I speak as a supporter of the Royal Family here, when I say that Her Royal Highness has definitely got her string bag inside out. 

Firstly I take issue with the concept of a “nicer” death (I wonder if Harry Fenwick, who was gassed at Ypres in 1917 and died a lingering death at Etaples base hospital a few days later, thought that this was a “nicer” way to go than a bullet through the brain? Both sound pretty horrific to me.) Secondly, culling just one species in an attempt to eradicate a virus which is present in other significant reservoirs in the wild (and now also in some domestic cats) and which has a very complex method of transmission and infection dependent upon a number of variables, does not work. It wouldn’t work even if you killed every last badger in the UK.  It’s just the government thrashing around, desperate to be seen to be dong something, however ineffectual because there are lots of landowners and farmers who vote Tory. Sorry, but there you have it.  If gassing is a “nicer” death, perhaps we should test it out on freeloading MPs and minor Royals.

Badger culling is not the only area where the government is shamelessly pandering to a populist agenda based largely on myth and anecdotal propaganda. There’s also immigration, as was shown this week by the forced deportation of Yashika Bageerathi on Wednesday. She was sent back to Mauritius with two guards because her claim for asylum was denied. As a striving, popular and talented A-level mathematician, she was supposedly on the “good” side of the immigration ledger – not that I personally acknowledge the “deserving and undeserving immigrant” divide, any more than I do the deserving and undeserving poor. But given that each case is decided on its merits, one would have hoped for a bit more in the way of common sense from the Home Office. Air Mauritius, too, are entirely culpable, having refused to fly her the previous Sunday. I would love to know what made them change their mind, 72 hours later, what deal went down, and how much “taxpayers’ money” was involved. In 2010-2011 the UK Border Agency spent £28million on repatriating failed asylum seekers.

The hypocrisy of this particular case astounds me: we can fly Malala Yousafzai half way round the world and throw all the resource of the NHS at her to uphold the principle of “education” in the fight against the Taliban, but when it comes to someone in this country fearing for their well-being if deported, all the concepts of the importance of education go out of the window.

But, nevertheless, deported Yashika was, in the teeth of opposition from 178,000 people who signed a petition against it, to an uncertain future, as a purely symbolic gesture to assuage the Daily Mail white van man brigade, on a day which once more made me feel ashamed to be British.  Presumably her only way back now would be to get herself shot in the head by the Taliban. I think Facebook correspondent Andrew Moore summed it up neatly when he posted about the effect it was having on further education for foreign students.

Slow hand clap time...Well done uk government your moron pandering to the anti-immigration lobby has made you an unpleasant place and wrecks a global mega brand. This along with a dull overtone of "we don't want you", even the legitimate immigrants (me!) feel uncomfortable eg when the "go home" wagons are the best you can do... You stupid stupid buffoons.

Given Mr Farage’s tone in the recent TV debates and the way in which immigration is set to become a hot football and a political potato in the 2015 campaign, it can only be a matter of time until Princess Anne advocates gassing immigrants.  Many a true word spoken in jest.

And so we came, reluctantly, limping slightly and feeling tired and shivery, to Sunday, the fifth Sunday in Lent, and, as it happens, my 59th birthday. According to the Lectionary, the readings for today are:

Ezekiel 37:1-14
Psalm 130
Romans 8:6-11
John 11:1-45

So I went and looked them up. I was pleasantly surprised by the Ezekiel, because it turns out to be about dem bones dem bones dem dry bones:

The hand of the Lord was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,  and caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.  And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord God, thou knowest.  Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the Lord.  Thus saith the Lord God unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:  and I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am the Lord. So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones came together, bone to his bone.

And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them. Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord God; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.

Pretty good stuff. Whatever Ezekiel was on when he wrote that, I wouldn’t mind a pinch of it right now.  Psalm 130 is about calling from the depths, and the Romans passage is about the difference between the carnal life and the spiritual life. But the passage from John is possibly the most famous of the four – the raising of Lazarus from the dead:

Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days.  Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God? Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth. And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

So, two weeks before Easter we are already foreshadowing someone being raised from the dead.  It is inevitable, I suppose, given my situation and the fact that I am now in my 60th year (which somehow sounds so much older than merely being 59) that both Ezekiel connecting the dry bones and Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead should both have resonances for me. It’s an inevitable progression, as you get older and bits start to wither and drop off. What am I, anyway? Am I just dry bones, sinew and flesh, that will stink after four days. Or is that just the shell, the husk that I inhabit, and the real me, the essential me, will be elsewhere? Why did nobody ask Lazarus what happened when he died?

The dry bones of Ezekiel have inspired both poets and painters. In 1855 Henry Alexander painted “Shall These Dry Bones Live” in the Pre-Raphaelite style, a painting which I have reproduced at the top of this blog.  And T S Eliot (who else?) alludes strongly to the passage in Ash Wednesday:

And God said
Shall these bones live? shall these
Bones live? And that which had been contained
In the bones (which were already dry) said chirping:
Because of the goodness of this Lady
And because of her loveliness, and because
She honours the Virgin in meditation,
We shine with brightness. And I who am here dissembled
Proffer my deeds to oblivion, and my love
To the posterity of the desert and the fruit of the gourd.
It is this which recovers
My guts the strings of my eyes and the indigestible portions
Which the leopards reject.

On that crucial question – shall these dry bones live?  - hangs the faith of many people. Once again I find myself in a position of unknowing. It’s a question which is fundamental to our perception of our own reality. I have been alive now for 59 years inside this mobile hamburger that trundles round each day, gratifying its desires. But is that me? And if not, then what is?

The grim reaper cut a swathe through the lives of my friends last week. Two people that I know both lost folk who were close to them, in one case even kin. I feel it behoves me to comfort them tonight, even though I am not much good at comforting myself. So I fall back on my old reasoning, which is that this thing we call reality is no more real than any other flickering mage made entirely of electro-magnetism, and  - as Bob the wizard once said, no doubt unconsciously channelling Juliana of Norwich – we are all one, and we are all contained in a point of light. Or putting it another way, if nothing is real, then everything is unreal, and, my friends, you will see your Mum again and you will see your friend again, in fact they are probably here, all around us in some dimension we can’t perceive, watching over us and wishing us well,  because heaven knows no time.

Somehow, it’s 10 o’clock and almost the end of my birthday. It’s already tomorrow in Australia, and tomorrow is another day. Misty’s asleep on the settee, Matilda’s giving herself an extended wash in the armchair next to the TV, Debbie’s working on her marking and I am just about to do the washing up before Match of the Day 2.   So I’m going to leave it there tonight. Shall these bones live? Who knows. Shall my soul live? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment